Preparing for an Airbrush Tan
- Exfoliate your skin prior to your airbrush tanning session to remove all of the dead skin cells from the first layer of skin where the solution will be applied. Exfoliation prior to your airbrush tanning session promotes even coverage and lengthens the duration of your tan by removing dead skin that would otherwise flake off.
- Shave at least 8 hours prior to your spray tan. If you wax, make sure it is at least 24 hours prior to. If you have recently had a chemical peel or are using any chemical compounds from your dermatologist, please make sure to notify me before your session.
- The night before, make sure that your skin is as moisturized as possible. Sunless tanning solution that sits on dry skin will simply flake off no matter how high-quality the product and skilled the technician. I suggest to my clients that they put on extra lotion without rubbing it in, put on sweats, and enjoy some extra time in front of the TV!
- There should be nothing on your skin at the time of your session; this includes sweat, oil, make-up, perfume/cologne, deodorant and moisturizer. Having nothing on your skin will ensure that there's no barrier preventing the solution from setting on the skin. However, we do recommend putting on chapstick, vaseline, etc. on your lips prior to your session.
- Wear dark, loose-fitting clothing for your airbrush tanning session. The cosmetic bronzer in the airbrush tanning solution may rub off on clothing, however, it will wash out of most fabrics except for leather, nylons and silks.
- Wait at least 8-10 hours before washing the tanning formula/solution from your skin. Rinse with water only. No soap!
- Apply daily moisturizer or tan extender cream the morning and evening after your 1st post-tan shower. Avoid oil based moisturizers or anything with AHA because they promote exfoliation. Hemp lotion or Cetaphill works best.
- Avoid the use of any products that contain salicylic acid (an active ingredient in most face washes) until you’re ready to strip off your spray tan.
- Avoid long hot showers or baths and scrubbing the skin excessively. Pat your skin dry after bathing or showering.
- Chlorine in swimming pools and hot tubs will shorten the length of your tan.
- Brush baby powder onto the skin prior to working out or excessive sweating. The powder will absorb the sweat and prevent the tan from stripping prematurely.